Tuesday 7 July 2015

Summer Colours



Hello there, first of all I'd like to say a big thank you for all the lovely comments on my cushion, I'm really chuffed you all liked it and took the time to let me know.

I wasn't able to post last week, life has been both busy and sad here as I was helping N sort out his late mother's home. It was also the hottest week of the year so far so it was exhausting. Arriving home late in the evening I didn't feel up to doing anything too complicated but I did manage to squeeze in a little crochet to relax before bed time. Do you remember this?



It's the lace weight merino yarn I wrote about buying here. I fell in love with these summery colours and have, from the day I bought it, pictured a summer wrap to throw over light summer dresses or white tops in the evenings. I've enjoyed browsing through different lace stitches, picturing the end result before trying a few out and finding that actually, it looks far nicer if I keep it simple.



I loved the effect of the different colours in a simple chain made with a large hook, the bright green fading to yellow, turquoise and lilac so I decided to keep it simple and make the wrap in an easy diamond mesh pattern. This is just the thing for working in a nice easy rhythm when I'm too tired to concentrate on a pattern. It also has the benefit of showing off the yummy summer colours of this yarn much better than the more complicated lace patterns. Isn't this gorgeous?




By Thursday we were shattered and ready for a break so worked really late to finish up and stay home on Friday. We had a quiet day relaxing and pottering about and inspired by Elizabeth's post at Mrs Thomasina Tittlemouse I was pleased to see the elder flowers finally out in our garden so I could make a batch of cordial. This Elder is called Black Lace, the cordial it makes is pink and the newly opened flowers have a delicious citrussy elderflower aroma. It also looks absolutely gorgeous in the garden.




So that was the first week of our summer holiday - clearing, cleaning, pottering in the kitchen and garden and of course a little crochet.



The light is much brighter today when I took this last photo and the yarn looks more blue, mostly it looks green though. If you would like to make a wrap like this, I'm using a 5.5mm hook with a 3 ply laceweight merino yarn with 400 metres in a 100g skein. This is a bigger hook than would usually be used for this yarn weight but I chose it as I liked the effect of the bigger hook and wanted the wrap to work up quickly. It only uses chain and double crochet stitches (single crochet in US) so is ideal if you are new to crochet and want to move on to making something a little bigger than squares. I made 242 stitches then working in UK terms:

1st row - miss 1 ch, 1 dc in next ch, *5 ch, miss 3 ch, 1 dc in next ch* repeat to last st, 1 dc, 5ch, turn

2nd row - *1 dc in ch space, 5 ch* repeat to end

Repeat the second row until the wrap is the size you want and that's it, nice and simple. I don't know yet how wide mine will be or how I will edge it, I'll just stop when it looks right.

Til next time,

Hx

9 comments:

  1. I love the colour of your yarn .... Thanks for your visit to my blog ... see you soon !!! have a creative day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow the wrap is lovely, looking forward to seeing the finished object! What lovely elderflower, I've never seen any that colour before, do they taste different? Thanks for sharing the wrap pattern, I'm on the look out for something like that so may well try it out! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Helen. It has that familiar wonderful elderflower flavour, mine is quite lemony but It's the first time I've used the pink flowers so I'm not sure if it is them or the amount of lemon I used, I'll have to make some more to find out. Hx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so weird!! I've just posted about crocheting a shawl and it's done in the same way yours is though using cotton yarn. And I have my pink elderflowers currently soaking just ready to pour into bottles as pink elderflower cordial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wrap & the yarn used are lovely. Lucky you making cordial, I planted two elders in my garden as part of a hedge but with no kitchen I can't make any cordial. There is always next year x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those blues and greens are gorgeous, watery summer colours. They remind me of willow trees and riverbanks. Thank you for sharing the pattern - I have some yarns that would suit this design :)
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely yarn! Reminds me of a summer's day on the beach.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, summery colours !
    Thank you for sharing.
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Tina x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love that greeny blue it reminds me of the sea....xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment, I love to read them all and will reply to any questions as soon as I can.