Friday 5 June 2015

Simple Paisley Granny Cushion

Hello there,

It's taken me a bit longer than I expected to reach the next stage of my Paisley cushion. It would have been easier to go looking on the Internet for a pattern but I really wanted to do this myself so I beavered away in spare moments turning my Paisley motifs into granny squares. There has been ripping out, a lot of ripping out, then more working up again until it looked passable.

First I had to make my mind up which colour to choose for my first cushion, despite thinking I would choose yellow and pink, in the end I plumped for orange and pink.



I've mentioned before that I am rather too good at procrastination, I'm also not very good at making up projects right away but this time I decided to weave in the ends and make up as I go, otherwise I'll never get the cushions made in time to use this summer. There were quite a few ends.



Next decision was what colour to use for the background and I went for the turquoise. This is the bit which has taken me a while to work out as I'm not one of those talented people who can sit down and put it on paper, I just play with the yarn until it looks right to me. So I played and played, it still didn't look right, so I played a bit more and finally got a rectangle.




A few more rectangles and I had enough to play about to see how they looked. I haven't decided yet whether to make all the blocks the same or not.




I'm joining the sections one at a time as I finish them so I can see the cushion cover grow. This is the bottom section already made up.




 I'm looking forward to finishing this and being able to use it in the garden, when summer eventually arrives. This week has been cold and miserable here and very un-summer like, the perfect excuse to snuggle indoors with some crochet and the colours have helped keep me happy. On the down-side, it has made taking photos difficult as the light has been so poor, thankfully the weather has brightened up this afternoon so I can finally share my latest make with you.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.

Til next time,
Hx

14 comments:

  1. Wow! I love the Paisley design and the colours are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you've made it into a rectangle! The colours really are gorgeous :) Hope you're having some sun this week - today is glorious in Lincolnshire! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, gorgeous day here too, it's so good to see the sun, can hardly believe I was digging winter jumpers out last week! Hx

      Delete
  3. What an original design! I love the colour contrast between the paisley and the rest
    of the rectangle.
    Thank you for sharing!
    Tina :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I've loved making it and will be finished soon. Hx

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't have thought of putting those colours together, but it looks good. Looking forward to seeing the finished product :)

    A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it too, it will add a splash of colour outdoors when I use it. Hx

      Delete
  5. These look amazing Helen! I love the combination of colours you have used..the pretty blue really adds something special.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely love the paisley square! Can't wait to see it all finished...

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look wonderful, your colour choice is fantastic xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment, I love to read them all and will reply to any questions as soon as I can.