Wednesday 17 June 2015

Exploring new places

Hello there, have you been busy enjoying the long, light evenings and doing some crafting?

While I finished the front of my simple Paisley Granny cushion and started working on the back I took some time out for a spot of unexpected retail therapy at a newly opened craft shop in our town before getting back to nature at the the National Museum of Rural Life at East Kilbride in Lanarkshire.
 


Craft Shopping

First was the visit to the craft shop. As I live on the edge of the town I often find out about changes from friends and neighbours before I see them myself and this was again the case when I discovered the lovely little craft shop which has opened in the town. On my next walk down that way I popped in to have a look and found the friendly Allison who owns it and is following a long held dream. Allison crochets too and I was so pleased to find she had some crochet cotton in stock, just the thing for the lace book which I wrote about recently.



Allison sews, her shop is full of the most gorgeous fat quarters and projects she has made herself with fabrics she sources from America. With ribbons, buttons and embellishments it is a craft heaven and so easy to just pop down the hill. As the shop is quite small she doesn't plan to stock a lot of yarn (she is also a crocheter) but did have a big basket of yarn packs, well how could I resist? I fell in love with the colours of this yarn, they made me think of autumn so I ended up coming home with three balls earmarked for a cosy project later in the year and of course the crochet cottons.



With so many beautiful fabrics in her shop I will be going back to visit Allison again soon.



Down on the Farm
 
My second new place was the National Museum of Rural Life at Wester Kittochside which isn't far from us being about a half hour drive away and last weekend they had a Woolly Weekend event. As NTS members we get entry to this museum even though it is run by NMS. It's a little space of tranquillity amidst the bustle of the outskirts of south Glasgow and the new town of East Kilbride. The museum is actually just off a busy road but once the car was parked and we walked down the path to the farm we could have been miles away. The museum building is a lovely place to visit but as we've been there before we headed down to the courtyard to meet the Westyett Alpacas and their friendly and knowledgeable owners, Pauline and John. I should point out that I don't know Westyett Alpacas and this post isn't sponsored, I just enjoyed meeting the alpacas so much I thought I'd share it with you all.



We spent quite a while finding out all about these cute little guys who are actually quite shy with humans making it difficult to get photos of them....


 however patience and perseverance paid off.
 
 


Whilst they may be shy with humans, they are not slow to react to dogs, the appearance of a cute little dog belonging to another visitor had them down the ramp and over at the edge of the pen in no time. Pauline's husband explained as we were watching that alpacas don't like dogs or foxes and will actually chase them off. This little brown chap was a little braver and more inquisitive than the rest, he definitely seemed to be the leader of this herd,



and keeping an eye on his owner's sales too!



There was a bucket of alpaca clippings for people to feel (the alpacas are a bit shy for petting though I did see the brown one above allowing a little girl to stroke him), they were so beautifully soft, the type of fibre which is impossible to resist. The alpacas are lovely, they talk quietly to each other all the time and I could (and did) watch them for quite a while. We discovered that they are herd animals who won't do well on their own and though very hardy, they can't cope with driving rain as unlike sheep they don't have any lanolin in their coats so must have a shelter.

I also found out why I often find wool uncomfortable as John explained the difference in structure between sheeps' wool and alpaca fibre, basically alpaca is smoother and warmer due to the hollow fibre giving an insulating effect where as sheep wool is heavier and has scales with little "barbs" which cause the itching people sometimes experience from wool. As well as breeding and showing Alpacas, Pauline also sells products made from alpacas fibre, if you would like to know more about Pauline's Alpacas or where you can see them check out their Westyett Alpacas website to find out where they will be.

I've mostly crocheted with merino mixes before such as Sirdar Flirt which is merino and bamboo or Debbie Bliss Cashmerino however I have used alpaca fibre once before when I used Drops Lace which is an alpaca and silk mix to make a pink shawl. Now I've met these animals up close and seeing how gorgeous both they and their fibre are I think I'll be using Alpaca yarn more in future. Regretfully, we left the alpacas behind and made our way along the path to the farmhouse. This was a lovely peaceful walk and I really enjoyed getting close to the wildflowers in the hedgerow.



Aren't these Hawthorn blossoms beautiful?



We saw some very pale, delicate bluebells under the trees as we made our way through the garden to the house. I haven't seen bluebells like this before, they were almost a pale lilac colour.




We hadn't been to the farmhouse before and it was like stepping back into a scene from my childhood as I used to visit my friend's grandparents' farm in the late seventies/early eighties which though smaller had a similar feel. Wester Kittochside hasn't been updated since the 1950s, with the previous owners leaving it to the NTS in the 1980s. It is still a working farm retaining the old ways of earlier times, including using horses which we saw turned out in the field.

We made our way back down the path to the Museum building for a late lunch as it has a good cafe, spotting this piece of yarn bombing at the entrance. I'm sorry the photo isn't very clear, the light inside the museum is very poor for photography and this was the only piece of yarn bombing I was able to photograph.




The yarn bombing was a trail throughout the museum for kids to follow (as we are big kids we did it too) and there were yarny, woolly craft activities for children as well so families were having a fun day out.


I am still working on my cushion, being half-way through the back, I hope to be able to show the finished item to you later this week.

Til next time,

Hx

2 comments:

  1. Wow I love the yarn you got! It's always great to find new crafty outlets nearby :) And the alpacas are awesome, they look such characters! Amazing to think how soft their fur is. Looking forward to seeing the finished cushion :) have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely pictures - I love the alpacas :) It's also nice to see I'm not the only person who photographs the flowers under the hedge, although when I do it I get asked why I'm taking pictures of weeds! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment, I love to read them all and will reply to any questions as soon as I can.