Saturday 4 April 2015

Accessorising With Flowers

A few weeks ago I posted a pic of some spring flowers but hadn't decided what to do with them back then.  Various ideas flitted through my head over the following weeks, including a suggestion by Josie (Sew for Soul) for a Spring wreath. Ooh, choices, choices, how to make my mind up!  In the end I went with my first idea of a tissue box cover as I thought it would be nice to have them on view all the time to brighten up our living room so off I went with some cream DK, a 3mm hook and a box of tissues. A few attempts later, as I didn't have a pattern for the cover and was sizing and shaping as I went, I had this.



I already had the flowers but no leaves so once again it was my yarn stash to the rescue yielding some dark green DK yarn. A spring green would have been better but it as it was alternating between snow showers and hail at the time I didn't feel like going out and made do with the darker green. I didn't have a pattern for the leaves, I just made it up as I went along using double crochet, half treble and treble stitches to shape them. As those who know me are aware, I'm not a fan of making up and like to keep sewing to a minimum  so this cover, flowers and leaves have all been worked in the round. 


Then I had to decide where these little flowers would live so it was time to move it around. The windowsill was nice and bright but I didn't want it there,


 so I moved it to here.

 It now resides in full view on my lamp table to add a touch of bright Spring colour to my home.


Whilst working on the tissue box cover last week I got a surprise call from an old friend to tell me she has a new granddaughter, a big surprise as it was a little earlier than I expected and....we thought she was going to be a boy! Now, little girls are definitely thin on the ground around here, it's mostly boys, so I was delighted to be able to think in terms of pink and lilac instead of blue. Out went the baby converse boot pattern and in came pretty pastel bootees and Mary Janes. Oh the joy, the boys are lovely but I feel so happy to be making something pretty for a little girl. I'll show you the finished article once it has been safely delivered to the recipient.

On another note, I love Easter, love that it is less commercial than Christmas, more time for family with the holidays, the signs of new growth all around, the traditions we have started such as making Easter Bread for Sunday breakfast and Hot Cross Buns for tea, it's the only time we have them. What are your traditions? Wishing you all a lovely, Happy Easter.

H x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment, I love to read them all and will reply to any questions as soon as I can.